Strategies To Implement When Building A Custom Home

The time has finally come to build your dream home. For many, this is initial excitement is soon quenched by the reality of designing and building a custom home. It can become all too easy to get bogged down in the details. Fortunately, there are strategies that can help make the process go more smoothly. Here are a few you should look into when designing and building your custom home.

Don't max out your budget

You've likely driven past one -- a custom home where a construction was never completed. This state of affairs typically occurs when the original owner maxed out there budget and then was unable to afford finishing the home. Don't let this be you! It's very common for a new home build to run over budget. The more unique features or the larger the home, the more likely it is that it will come in above the original quote. To counteract this, determine your maximum budget and then work with your builder to design a home for only 80 percent of that budget. That leaves you with 20 percent to cover any unexpected costs that may come up.

Request a website

Many custom home builders are part of the digital age and they will provide clients with a custom website. On this site you can track the building schedule of your home, thus never needing to wonder if the framing crew is supposed to be onsite today. Further, your builder can upload all the tiny decisions you need to make to the site, allowing you to decide on such important things such as kitchen appliances, light fixtures, bathroom vanities, and similar decisions in the evenings when you actually have the time to make an informed decision. This is a vast improvement over trying to pick out the perfect trim color in a rush upon a visit to the construction site.

Think about the future

Most people that build a custom home plan to live there for decades, if not for the rest of their lives. Keep this in mind when designing your home, or you may be very unhappy with it in just a few short years. For example, are you currently childless but plan to have kids? Then you want to make sure you design at least one bathroom to have an easy-access bathtub for child bathing. Or, if you plan to age in place, making sure halls and doors are wide enough to accommodate the possible future need for a mobility aid is something you will be grateful for later. Make sure your builder knows your long-term plans so they can make suggestions to fit these goals.

Contact a custom home builder for more help.


Share